Rochester MN Area/ARES Frequency Template for VHF/UHF
Here is a frequency list/template in a CHIRP-compatible format for use in the Rochester MN Area.
Here is a printable reference for the above template:
The template contains:
- National (US) standard Calling, Simplex, and APRS/Data frequencies for VHF/UHF HAM use
- Channels for local area repeaters for general and SKYWARN/ARES use
- Channels for local/ARES simplex frequencies
- FRS/GMRS/MURS and select Marine VHF channels (not technically legal for TX, but fully compatible)
- Select National Emergency/Incident Response interoperability channels (from the NIFOG document)
- Channels for local emergency services (emergency interoperability/monitoring)
- All NOAA Weather Radio broadcast frequencies
How to use this template
Download the CSV file here
Download CHIRP, a free open-source tool to program radios (http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download)
Connect programming cable to computer and radio, then turn radio on. (Cables can be borrowed or found on Amazon, Ebay, or AliExpress. Cheaper cables may have counterfeit chips which can be made to work just fine if you are comfortable using a back-dated driver, or Linux. See John Miklor's site here http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_GettingStarted.php, he recommends this one http://amzn.to/1w5kSIM)
Don't want to get a cable? Ask around at a Club Meeting or after the Sunday Night ARES net, for help, or contact Collin AA0CN.
Capture current radio settings:
Download the stock image from the radio using CHRIP (Radio->Download from Radio, selecting the right COM port and radio type):
Save a copy of stock image. Save it a second time, under a different name as your original image. This new image will be the one populated with the template.
Import Template from CSV file:
Download this .csv file by the file link above, or by clicking here
For easiest import, delete all current stock frequencies in the frequency table. (Select a memory slot, 'Ctrl-A' to select all, 'Del' to delete)
Use File->Import and select and open the .csv template.
If you deleted all frequencies, you can just hit "ok" at the next window, otherwise you can move them around to different locations as you import them using the import utility.
You should now see all of the frequencies populated! You may now sort, add, delete, amend as you wish.
Change Other Settings (Recommended):
Change any other settings under the "Settings" tab to the left.
- Both Display Modes="Name"
- Roger Beep=off
- Dual watch=Enabled
- Alarm Mode=site
- Any of the Squelch Tail Eliminate/STE features=off
- Battery Saver=off (for faster scanning)
- Set a power-on message of "RMNARES" and "2018: A"
Upload the image to the radio using Radio->Upload to Radio. Wait for radio to reset, unplug it and verify your image!
You can re-upload the image with minor changes without needing to download. Tweak until you are satisfied with its operation.
Remember to save this image once you are done. Memory settings may be copy-pasted between images for different radios or revisions, but do not try to use the same .IMG file between radios.